[Yr7-10it] Blogging for Students

Paul Chandler paul.chandler at une.edu.au
Sat Feb 26 07:56:42 EST 2011

I did the same sort of thing a few years ago (when I was in the classroom);
students were also required to make constructive comments on at least 2
other students' work.

Software used - I set up a local copy of elgg.  I know it's not the solution
that Paul P is looking for, but its certainly an effective one.  We
ultimately ran single sign-on, as elgg could link to the local ldap.

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 7:38 AM, <mppascoe at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> For my Year 9 ICT class, I want to have them Blog about each of their
> completed projects, including a screenshot of their finished product.
>
> I was hoping to use Google Blogger, but can't get it working on the
> school's
> network.
>
> We have unblocked the following URLs:
>
> http://www.blogger.com/
>
> http://3.bp.blogspot.com/
> http://1.bp.blogspot.com/
> http://2.bp.blogspot.com/
> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/
>
> as well as these pages for their individual Blogger Accounts:
>
>  <http://ppa2011student01.blogspot.com/>
> http://ppa2011student01.blogspot.com/
>  <http://ppa2011student02.blogspot.com/>
> http://ppa2011student02.blogspot.com/
>
> .... through to
>
>  <http://ppa2011student30.blogspot.com/>
> http://ppa2011student30.blogspot.com/
>
> the students can get in, but the editor just lags forever, and they cannot
> input any information.
>
> Has anyone had similar problems and know how to solve this?
>
> I am now in the process of setting up EDUBLOGS accounts for my class of
> students, to try and use that platform instead.
> Is Edublogs good? Has anyone used it? Any Tips and Traps?
>
> Has anyone used Blogging on Moodle, and is that any good?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul Pascoe
> ICT / Mathematics Teacher
> St Francis Xavier College Berwick
>
> http://passyworldofict.blogspot.com/
> http://www.youtube.com/passyworldofict
> mppascoe at tpg.com.au

> and

Dr Paul Chandler
Research Fellow: Multimedia grammatical design and authoring pedagogy
(Kahootz) project,
School of Education, University of New England
(Project website: http://www.une.edu.au/kahootzresearch)

located at Australian Children's Television Foundation
145 Smith Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, 3065
e-mail: paul.chandler at une.edu.au
Ph: 0400 198 187
Fax: (03) 9419 0660
Skype: paul.d.chandler