[Yr7-10it] remote screen viewing/broadcasting software

Phil Callil P.Callil at xavier.vic.edu.au
Mon May 10 00:10:08 EST 2010

They are great advantages that Paul has listed.  Apple Remote Desktop has been doing the first for at least five years.  Re the second, if you combined ARD with a screen recorder (e.g Camtasia, iShowU, Screenflow etc), I think this would be reasonably cost efficient and straightforward.

Cheers

Phil Callil

Phil Callil
Faculty Head IT
Xavier College
9855-4163
www.xavier.vic.edu.au

Vice President VITTA
www.vitta.org.au/

>>> "Dr Paul Chandler"  09/05/10 4:00 PM >>>
There are two things that I quite like the idea of with this kind of
software:

(1) "Hey, [student], that's a really interesting way you've gone about
doing that.  Show us what you've done."  A couple of clicks later, and the
student's screen is up on public display, and the student sharing his/her
insights or approaches with the class.

It seems to me that if classes are serious about collaboration, software
such as iTALC for this kind of classroom use is a must.  The "gotcha" is
that the "both ends" of the software needs to handle fast screen refreshes
and DirectX properly (and not all do).  Had a terrific lesson running once
with Alice (Alice.org) and wanted to show off a student's work.  All we
got was a blank screen on the DP.  The problem at that time was AB Tutor's
failings in relation to DirectX, but things may have moved on from then.
I wonder how iTALC manages under these circumstances?

On the plus side, I had a class doing a science experiment (about 6
stations, all with temperature probes), and we were able to rotate on the
data projector (or IWB) what each group's experiment was doing.

(2) Recording student's on-screen activity.  If we are serious that the
process is as important as the product, then being able to record the
student "at work" as a video - at least from time to time - and
incorporate this within an e-portfolio, or as an object for reflection
seems pretty important.

Despite my liking for the approach, I haven't found a product which does
it very well (err, well, for the extended recording of desktop activity,
without the student having to be 'too conscious' of 'doing it', without
parting with much money)  I have used vnc2swf which does a reasonable job,
but vnc2swf doesn't know about vnc's more recent, fancy windows-based
authentication (which you really need if you have vnc running on every
machine in a lab).  Any thoughts on how to do this "recording for
reflection" well?

Any any (other) creative ideas for how to use remote screen
viewing/broadcasting software?

--
Dr Paul Chandler
Research Fellow

located at Australian Children's Television Foundation
145 Smith Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, 3065
e-mail: paul.chandler at une.edu.au
Ph: 0400 198 187
Fax: (03) 9419 0660
Skype: paul.d.chandler