[Yr7-10it] VB.Net

Costello, Rob R Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue May 4 22:23:04 EST 2010

there is a comprehensive Microsoft programming tool, which supports VB.NET (and other .net languages) called Visual Studio

(there is a free version of Visual Studio, called the Express Edition)

it doesn't have all the features of the full version but its pretty good - the parts i've used were certainly rich enough to learn with and make some useful things ... i didn't feel hemmed in by it

you can install various modules, and one of them lets you program in VB.NET

from the parts i used, i think only an experienced developer would start running into limitations with it - ie fine for schools

express version is here
http://www.microsoft.com/express/

however, it would also be worth investigating if schools are allowed to use the full version - my understanding is that the dept had bundled Visual Studio in with some of their bulk purchasing - it might still cost a little (say $10 per copy) but not the full thousands it would normally be  ... i know we had at least one version turn up at the school

.. or Microsoft might have an educational access deal like that...

however i'm not sure on these latter points (it might be what dreamspark is .. i haven't looked)  - but if all else fails express 2010 is available

cheers

Rob