[Yr7-10it] charging laptop off solar etc?

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Mar 26 22:40:48 EST 2010

Hi Rob and all,

Not exactly what you're after, but, for info, the latest City Software
catalogue has a solar powered phone charger for $22 on the front cover.

On their website, complete with a video, they say:

<www.citysoftware.com.au/Greenpoint_Universal_Solar_Powered_Phone_Charger.
aspx>

Product Name: Greenpoint Universal Solar Powered Phone Charger
Part No:  GPE0002
Manufacturer:  Greenpoint
Manufacturer Code:  GP10021
Weight 0.50 kg

Usually Ships Next Day  $22.00

Ideal for charging:

• Mobile Phones (Iphone, Nokia N series, Sony Ericsson, LG, Samsung,
  Motorola (not V6)
• Ipods ( not nano)
• MP3 /MP4
• GPS
• PDA
• Other USB charged devices

Specifications:

• Solar 5.5V/50mA
• Built-in polymer battery 1000mAH
• Max output voltage 5.5V/500mA
• High finished Aluminium body
• Phone charging time: 60min (the charging time can be varied depending
  on the mobile phone battery capacity)
• Charging time by sunlight: 12hr for fully charge
• Charging time by computer: 3hr for fully charge.

Includes:

• 10 connectors
• USB Cable
• Hanging rope

Cheers,
Stephen
Nb: $0 City Software connection

> Andrew and Donna that all sounds promising and very generous
>
> will go off list if this goes any further but let me ask Andrew one
more question here:

>  ... ie spell it out a bit more for me :)
>
> the targus powerpack you mention ... what is that exactly ?
>
> normal powerpack on laptop expects mains input of 240 V (AC)   - and
delivers (according
to the text on my powerpack) 19.5 V DC and up to 3.3 Amp  (usually much
less current i
guess)

> so when i plug an inverter into say our car cigarette lighter, it takes
12 V DC, inverts
and transforms to 240 V, which the powerpack changes back down to 19.5 V
DC ... i can see
how thats inefficient, (but ok as long as the car battery keeps charging)

> we can avoid some of these steps? -  your UPS 6.5 V batteries in series
give 13V -
wouldn't be quite 'close enough' to the required voltage of 19.5 V i
would think?   these
devices seem to be fussy about getting the right power?

> basic questions but i don't quite see how it works :)
>
> hoping though!
>
> re time frame, a few hours a day over a week would be good
>
> Donna - i can't pretend an XO would have the right software, but i
would love to have a
play with Sugar on the real deal- would be very cool

> rob

Authority and
Teachers Association Inc

received in error,
please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using