[Yr7-10it] Re: Keeping records

Colin SUTTON oz.sutton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 14:25:05 EST 2010

I've used a spreadsheet that I set up years ago.

I use one tab for each class. I just change the starting date each term,
copying the previous term to the bottom. We have a Green/Gold Week
timetable, so the dates are colour coded.
I use 1/0 for present/absent. I sum students present at the bottom for each
day. I use highlights to note students late, TimeOuted or at music etc.

If I get around to it I make a note at the bottom in the day's cell to
remind me what I taught (senior moment).

Tests are also recorded. It takes a minute to copy the 'template' for each
new test and set it up.
80% conditional formatting reminds me about students who should get a
sticker.
Test average for class is part of the template. I also record re-sits for
Maths.
End of semester averages for each student take a matter of minutes.

I back it up using auto Mozy as well as regularly using Dropbox. I use Time
Machine (when I remember).

I've lost only a few bits of data over the years - always because I've used
the wrong file - the backup rather than the original.
I now use a date identifier for the backup, none for the original. Haven't
had data loss since.

Regards

COLIN
oz.sutton at gmail.com