[Yr7-10it] PD comment for country members ...Kent B.

Kent Beveridge kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au
Thu Jul 29 09:33:30 EST 2010

Thanks for the reply Phil, but if I may...

Firstly, yes, VITTA puts on and supports conferences and yes it does 'punch' for state and national issues.

However, I refer to another member's comment currently on this discussion thread that many PD opportunities tend to be city based and post 4.30 timeslots - great for city members, but not so for us non-city members(yes, I am now paid up!).

Example..the recently offered 'emerging technologies course' on these lists. I for one looked at the content and thought it would be excellent if I could attend all or even some of the units but alas...the timeslots again destroy that option.

Solution? I have a local tafe campus of the Ballarat uni handy and so perhaps that may be my only option available to keep 'up to date' coursewise but that may be an expensive option methinks.

Jo Maclaey and myself are going to attempt to trial an elluminate session next week and I mentioned it to my techie here so we'll see if we can make it happen to possibly open up some options on that front.

Now..to an obvious point...
I am presently Horsham based, and two respondents currently about this issue are in both Shepp and Bright..also non-Melbourne based. How to cater for 'us' on a basis EQUALLY as regularly as the city members for PD sessions on 'whatever' the topic. Also, what about the Mildura and Ouyen, or Bairnsdale members..how to cater for THEM too??

Seems since my time - now in my 4th year - up here, I have observed a strong lack of offerings in the PD front for non-city members. As you also may well know, I DO comment about this when I notice it and feel disappointed with offerings and have raised this issue on these lists previously on these lists.

Possible solution??
For me.. offer PD in say Ballarat or Ararat that I can attend and start at 5.30pm or 6.00pm gives me a chance to at least get there(2hrs to Ballarat for me, 1 and a bit to Ararat). North? Some venue about 1-2hrs north of Melbourne and East?...Maybe Warragul sessions. Surely presenters would be prepared to do a 1-2 hr trip if they were aware that some of the participants at their sessions were travelling an equal distance just to get there from their country or rural based schools to keep up to date with their skill base.

We, in the country schools, want to provide currency and fun too in our content for our students but feel often 'left out in the cold' when some 'cool' PD sessions are on offer....in the city!
Perhaps some serious money - or training offerings, or PD sessions etc can be sourced from sponsors and businesses who wish to support this plight can assist.
Eg...
Come on Adobe, and Microsoft, and Apple, or IBM et al,  contact us and help us (or ME!!) and help us out here with some tailored sessions at an affordable rate.
Some software scripting, and animation or multi-media content would be most welcomed by us country members but we NEED YOUR SUPPORT!  You want sales?  Well help us out then! We use your products in our classes so jump on board and help this problem, BUT STOP DELAYING..we need help NOW..not 12months or longer...frankly, we're tired of waiting and talk and want ACTIONS.
Personally, I'm tired of lip service to our plight.(you know the one..'its on the agenda for discussion...blah, blah," ).
My students DAILY look to me for inspiration and enthusiasm..and when it wains, they spot it a mile off. I love my job, but crikey its tough when I must constantly 'self teach' via online tutes and similar to keep current all the time with the demands of an I.T (and multi-curriculum) classroom where the hardware and software become out of date in no time flat!

Like an earlier member said, I am self taught with most of my software skill due to distance and cost factors. It would be nice to be professionally taught for a change..its not easy being an I.T. teacher and knowing the industry wants/needs our students but the education system seems to be squeezing us out!

reckon that about covers it..

ok..I'm done..my fingers are tiring now...

Kent Beveridge
PASSIONATE I.T. teacher of many years, PASSIONATE Maths teacher too!
Multi talented, multi skilled,
MULTI STRESSED(nature of the job!) (often subtle in speech and comment)
yada yada yada..

St. Brigids Cath.Sec. College, HORSHAM, Vic  (3hrs from Melbourne on the Western Hwy!)

cheers kiddies...