[Yr7-10it] STEAM Cloud's big day

Paul Chandler paul.chandler at une.edu.au
Fri Dec 10 09:20:55 EST 2010

Roland,

The e-mail came in about 24hrs too late ... hope it went really well, and
the travel has been safe despite all kinds of "biblical-scale events".

Looking forward to hearing all about it when you arrive home!

Tomorrow Thursday is our big day with 3 important performances of the "Cloud
> Dance" by my year 8 science class in our national capital in Canberra. We
> have called ourselves the "STEAM Cloud Team" and I thought to share you
> where we are up to and what we have been up to since my last post. Crikey,
> we have all come a long way and we are still dancing!
>      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iDJGZgTjXI (a recording of our last
> dance at Monash Uni and before the VITTA conf)
>
> I was hoping to get some photographs taken of the CloudSAT mirror but it
> has
> not stopped raining for 2 days! Even the GLOBE rain gauge has flooded
> itself
> over again and again then fell over with the weight of water. First locusts
> then El Nina hits the bus with a vengeance. Aghhhh...
>
> It has been a late evening with ironing, costume repairs and all the last
> min issues related to any major school excursion that can often be fixed
> with a hot cup of tea (sigh)  Standing over for lights out so we can all
> get
> some sleep before our early start this Thursday. We have a final ceremony
> surprise the students with some CSIRO CREST medallions, they will be
> tickled
> pink!
>
> It will be sad to say goodbye to this class when we break up in a couple of
> weeks at the end of our school year but a great for us all to have
> performed
> in the national capital for other students and scientists. Kind of a great
> big thank you for all the help that everybody has given us to get this far.
>
> Thanks again for all your help! Wish us luck. Fingers crossed it all goes
> well and our model earth does not go flat with a puncture :-)
>
> Regards Roland

> http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au

> change
> the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead

> and

Dr Paul Chandler
Research Fellow: Multimedia grammatical design and authoring pedagogy
(Kahootz) project,
School of Education, University of New England
(Project website: http://www.une.edu.au/kahootzresearch)

located at Australian Children's Television Foundation
145 Smith Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, 3065
e-mail: paul.chandler at une.edu.au
Ph: 0400 198 187
Fax: (03) 9419 0660
Skype: paul.d.chandler