[Moodle] Re: [Yr7-10it] Moodle moot..what it is and when?

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 14:51:01 EST 2009

Moodle will also run entirely off a USB drive or external drive, using
the MoWes application, using your normal day-to-day computer.

This lets you install Moodle with its underlying PHP, Apache and MySQL
on a USB drive (almost a one-click operation), build your Moodle
courses, develop themes, and add content. They you just take your USB
drive home and you have all your server apps, Moodle, AND your data to
play with at home, exactly the same. And you don't have to install
anything on your computer. You can even give the course (plus the
complete Moodle install) to students on a USB drive, as some of our
schools do when students don't have reliable net access at home.

Only significant problems are:- it uses the same port as Skype so you
need to disable Skype, and the speed is limited by the USB device. I
cheat and copy it all to a folder on my lappie hard drive and run it
from there, which is faster. Oh yes, and one of the members of this
community (Jason?) had a problem running it on his laptop due I think
to a firewall configuration issue, but I think he fixed that.

Cheers
Ken

Only

--
Dr Ken Price MACS ACCE Professional Associate.
President, TASITE