[Yr7-10it] deploying netbooks in schools

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 08:57:18 EST 2009

Very good point Bill, we should work on a document that covers this
transformational change. I have been trying to make bite sized, one page
handouts to get the ball rolling. This is a good goal to work towards.

In relation to your point about the lack of a commercial Linux distribution
released Australia, one of the resellers privately admitted that there was
some rather nasty stuff going on behind the scenes and for me to persist
with my efforts. Despite this, we managed to get a linux distribution and
some correspondence with US schools that our technician is hardening to do
the job. I really wanted to underscore to our staff that these were not
laptops, they were just small netbooks running some office and browser based
applications. Light enough to fit into a book box carried by two students
who can walk too and from the library. Hardened enough that settings cannot
be permanently altered. Work can be saved to Moodle, Novell Netstorage or a
USB key.

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au