[Yr7-10it] girls, IT, computer literacy

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 14:59:27 EST 2008

great resources - thanks rob

yes, I want to be part of this discussion group, when and if it is set up
:-)

alan kay's material complements the turkle quote - she focuses on social
relations being embedded in simulations; he focuses on how they are embedded
in the user interface

insofar as we conceptualise computers as "mere tools" then they will
continue to be used poorly in schools IMO - better to see them as
interactive medium which either molds the user in its image (eg. an
application or a GUI) or the user molds the machine, expresses themselves
through the medium, including the ability to modify and develop aspects of
the medium

--
Bill Kerr
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/