[Yr7-10it] RE: Rural PD project...so it GROWS!

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 21:57:23 EST 2008

G'day rural and regional friends,

On 28/01/2008, Kent Beveridge <kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au> wrote:

> Trust me, I am hammering VITTA on this project at present. We have a few
> rural schools who've put their hand up for this one. AJ and Roland at VITTA
> both know I'm keen on this and I also spoke again to Roland on Saturday at
> our 'installfest'.
>
> Got any ideas how you might approach this problem, if so, let us know on
> this list, the more the merrier!

I wonder sometimes if it is better to just go with a tried and trusted
'low-tech' approach. There may be merit in just video recording an event and
publishing to teacher tube then follow-up Moodle discussion forum with some
hosted documents or organising a synchronous follow-up chat with SkypeCast
to further support the activity for remote participants. Rather like the
rough cut but fascinating Google TechTalk Videos. Apart from cutting out the
quiet bits and adding a header and intro, they push these as they make them.
     http://video.google.com/googleplex.html.

Dennis Daniels has uploaded some splendid google videos with GameMaker,
Moodle, and other opensource applications so we know that this can be easily
done by any one person. Check out this review about some of this posts. I
wonder how many of you who use these free resources could consider donating
to a pay-pal account for material used?

http://moodlea.blogspot.com/2006/02/what-does-dennis-daniels-do-all-day.html

Question is, what do you imagine is the role for a subject association when
these new tools are relatively common, free and easy to use and share? What
online event value can can be reasonably added and later charged for to
cover some promotion, booking and marketing expense recovery with rural
participants?

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au