[Yr7-10it] Year 11 Powerpoints

Kent Beveridge kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au
Wed Jan 23 10:56:30 EST 2008

Hi again Jenna,
sounds a bit like you might be starting to panic a bit.
As a starter, if you are looking to start the year with Flash in one of your classes for example, go to the site
www.w3schools.com and there you will find a range of languages for programming and scrolling down the left of the screen slightly you will find a link to flash tutes. All these tute links have a self paced, easy to do approach and, as a bonus, scroll each screen you view down and you will get to a printable view, you can then print out a series of tutes and make a quick, professional booklet for your kids to work through, AND, this gives you a bit of time then to plan your next topic.
Another of my recent posts to this list put up a link to a photshop site with lots of tutes and ideas on it by a young lass in south oz, that might help you too.

I have decided that this is how I will start my 8's off.
My 9's will be starting with some Photoshop tasks that I am going to work on this week and my 10's will start with Web design/Digital Portfolios.

All my students will be 'encouraged' to create a digital portfolio for their work.

I will also be introducing programming of HTML at a basic level to the 8's this year (t1 or t2..still to be decided yet).
My year 9's will be intro'd to JavaScript / VB6
And my 10's will be building upon their basic VB6 knowledge to extend it in prep for the VCE stuff.

Basically, Jenna....
Y8  Topic 1: Flash 4-6 weeks then Topic 2: HTML basics (duration still tbd) Topic 3 Scratch programming(its a little less intense and they should be settled by now!) Topics 2 and 3 might be swapped in order, depends on the kids..if hard workers, it stays as is, if need more time, will swap the order!
Y9  Topic 1: Photoshop 3-4 weeks, then Topic 2 :JavaScript (duration still tbd) Topic 3: Maybe creating a combo project of the first 2!
Y10 Topic 1: Web Design (Dreamweaver/Frontpage?) most likely will use Dreamweaver (moving with the times...)
                   Topic 2: Further VB6 programming Topic 3: hmmm still thinking, got lots of options! Perhaps some database work?
Y11/12 Following the VCE Outcomes as a guide for topics!

Lesson learned....Develop student skills in databases and web design by year 10 so when they hit the VCE, they can focus on the 'what content' rather than the 'how do I do it? ' !

Another lesson learned... Try to work with other subject areas. What are they doing and what software skills do the students need to do their work?

Hope this basic planner/starter can give you some ideas.

Good luck with your kids in Cobram..oh, do they still do the 'Peaches and Cream' festival Australia Day weekend there?  I remember playing many squash tournaments there as the first on our tournament calender often a few years back, have since put my rackets 'away' due to other pursuits and interests, now getting into cycling for fitness and a bit of fun! Its also a good time just to admire the scenery around my local river on the bike track and chill out!

Kent Beveridge,
I.T. co-ordinator
St. Brigids Catholic Sec. College
Horsham
email.. kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au

|<3|\|7  b3\/3r1D93 ?  ;-)

Wishes and Eggs, one you make and one you break!  A bit like promises.....
"This email and any attachments may be confidential.  You must not disclose or use the information in this email if you are not the intended recipient.  If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and all copies.  The School does not guarantee that this email is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and my only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not.  The content and opinions in this email are not necessarily those of the School."