[Yr7-10it] girls, IT, computer literacy

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 16:35:18 EST 2008

tony forster wrote:
No I haven't used Crickets but I am prepared to make predictions based on
Lego Mindstorms programmable bricks. I would have given anything as a kid to
have had Lego Mindstorms and was surprised that the kids showed little
interest when they had GameMaker as an option.

I put this down to the development cycle. In Lego Mindstorms and GameMaker
there is a cycle of implement test debug implement. With Mindstorms, the
implement & test is much slower. Consequently kids spend the majority of
their time in implement & test in Mindstorms and debug in GameMaker.
-------

alternative or complementary explanation from marvin minsky:

"About the time that building-toys went out of style, so did many other
things that clever kids could do. Cars got too hard to take apart -- and
radios, impossible. No one learned to build much any more, except to
snap-together useless plastic toys. And no one seemed to notice this, since
sports and drugs and television-crime came just in time. Perhaps computers
can help bring us back."
http://web.media.mit.edu/~minsky/papers/Logoworks.html

need to find ways to slow down kids and adults in a world that is speeding
up?
principle of slow, deep thinking

--
Bill Kerr