[Yr7-10it] Games Programming, Visual Basic, Game On, and other fun stuff

Costello, Rob R Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sat Apr 5 10:51:34 EST 2008

Hi Paul

Your approaches sound interesting

Like the idea to combining the ACMI visit with the Medieval Imagination
- there's a mix worth trying!

(I'm also coming down again to ACMI this year - they ran a somewhat
tailored program for us last year - mix of their game culture /
programming discussion / with gamemaker tutorials in the afternoon - was
fun and lead to interesting spinoffs with Swinburne )

Be interested to hear how you go with the switch to VB.NET after
gamemaker - do they find it too much of a jump into language etc ; did
the

GM concepts help?

( I did it the other way last year, by necessity - and will do it your
way this year - semester 2 - might do some Alice / Scratch there as
well)

Your dice comment reminded me of a roulette wheel I wrote in VB (VBA) in
Excel once

(the maths coordinator at the time got nervous it might be perceived as
teaching gambling so due caution!)

Here tis  http://www.thinkingcurriculum.com/roulette.xls

Didn't finish the 2nd wheel - maybe of interest for a kid

(needs macro security on medium (- tools macros security)

interested to hear how VB.NET goes - have only used vb6

Good luck

Cheers

Rob