[Yr7-10it] Re : .. Programming for all levels

Russell Edwards edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Sep 20 09:38:03 EST 2007

On 20/09/2007, at 8:30 AM, Cameron Bell wrote:
> Q: I want to get into programming but didn't do any IT or
> programming at school. What language should I learn and how should
> I go about it?"
> A: Not doing any programming at school is not a disadvantage......
> (goes on)
>
> In light of this whole thread and the agonising over languages,
> methodology etc I had to chuckle.

   ;-) It's more or less what a few of us have been saying though--
that very few people achieve programming competence without a huge
investment of their own time, that most of them were self taught, and
most of them didn't bother dragging themselves through school IT
classes where the level was necessarily low (=boring) to cater for
the majority of students.

Russell