[Yr7-10it] Scratch, Gamemaker, VB.net, Python, PHP and MySQL - Programming for all levels

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Wed Sep 19 08:37:44 EST 2007

Hi Bill,

 I am cross posting to IT Software Development here as there is a parallel thread evolving under [Programming Languages for 2008] .

I feel I may be giving the wrong impression in some of the comments I have posted.

Let me explain.
Having left "formal" computer science in 1983, and having used 3G programming in teaching until around the late 80s I was forced to take on Non imperative programming in the early 90s as a requirement of the study design.

Result: I picked up prolog and ran with it for about 5 years.
Outcome for students: With so little time ( we also had to do an imperative langauge - Pascal ) the students could only fumble to reproduce something similar to what was in the learning.

Forward to mid 90s. Prolog was thrown out and I had to pick up Visual Dbase.
Outcome for students: Students also struggled with lack of time.

Continue to 2000: Inspired by a colleague ( are you there Rob Ward ? ) I picked up Java using Borland's JBuilder. I called back an ex student who just finished his Ph D in Comp Sci and asked him what HE thought students should know by Years 11 and 12 and to "bridge the gap to Year 13" . We spent around 3 months devising a set of exercises and programming tasks.

 Here is what we covered in the "purist" academic sense:
       1. Simple Data Types, primitives
       2. Functions
       3. User defined Objects
       4. Arrays and Vectors
       5. Text and Binary Files
       6. User defined objects, methods, inheritance, encapsulation
       7. A vector of user defined objects saved to binary files
       7. OOP

 Outcome for students: They found it a struggle. Only the top end managed to survive due to a lack of time.
Are you there Steven Baird ?

In 2007 : We have moved to VB.NET in Yr 10, Python in Year 11 and PHP and MySQL in Year 12.

 The last time I felt "educationally pure" was when I did my Cisco CCNA Instructor Course a few years ago. It felt so good . I was at home.
I can't wait to do my CCNP instructor.

 Another comment I made about VET ITwas that " as long as it works , the intellectual honesty doesn't matter" .
 Not competent ? An attitude of just redo it, who cares why it didn't work the first time. Keep doing it, and if you get it right eventually the teacher can tick you competent.

Enrolment for 2008:  Continuing decline in IT enrolments. 10 students for VET IT in Year 11. 2 students for IT in Year 11. 10 students for Yr 12 Software Development  in a school of 550. In 2009 we are unlikely to offer SoftDev at Yr 12 for the first time in 20 years.

So Bill, Steven, Mark, Kent, Claudia, Maggie and others help me out.
Tell me how we can get back to the purely academic, inquiry based approach to teaching programming and retain our classes?

Best Wishes
Kevork Krozian
Edulists Creator and Administrator
www.edulists.com.au