[Yr7-10it] Re : .. Programming for all levels

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Tue Sep 18 07:58:16 EST 2007

Hi Folks,

    There were no computers at school and I picked up Computer Science in
1980 at Monash Uni with punch cards programming in Fortran. I continued with
formal programming wiht the VAX mini system, majoring in Comp Sci having
covered C, Pascal, Assembly, Ada and a few other variations.
   The course was more than programming. It was numerical computations, data
structures and a lot of mathematical analysis such as depth of binary trees,
searching and sorting algorithms etc.
   I had a few years in industry ( Oil rigs, CSIRO ) and when I did start
teaching standalones ( Apple II ) were the order of the day until a few
years later when LANs made inroads. From there, scripting and other needs
could be satisfied with programming solutions of all kinds.
  Some examples of in house custom built programming solutions implemented
at my school include :

    1. A full roll marking system with swipe cards and readers in each room.
    2. A lateness module with a barcode reader for library cards.
    3. Online subject selections for students
    4. Resource bookings on line ( rooms, hardware, etc )
    5. Web based Password changing modules for teachers ( a teacher anywhere
can change any student's password(s) anywhere )
    6. Internet traffic and surfing historiy monitoring
    7. LDAP authentication scripts to allow access to resources
 ... and many more

 Programming is a means to an end and not an end in itself. Solutions are
demonstrated to students for inspiration/motivation.

  So now, the idea is here is a problem, what is the best way to solve it ?
Should we use a web based solution ?  The answer is almost always yes.
 Should we use PHP , VBScript or something else ?
 Can we use existing databases to access data rather than produce a new
database ? Eg. Can we extract timetabling data from the SQL server to use
for room bookings rather than importing these to a new database ?  Almost
always YES.
 We are now working on a Moodle/Intranet combination individualised for each
teacher and student to allow logging on to access personal timetable, class
content as well as attendance, work due, and reporting. We might call it our
ultranet ..... :)))

Take Care
Kevork Krozian
Edulists Creator and Administrator