[Yr7-10it] Re : .. Programming for all levels

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 23:21:06 EST 2007

My introduction to computers / programming was idea driven - some of the
ideas came from talking to others and other of the ideas came from books (I
like books). Some of the ideas were -

   - bulletin board systems as a different way to communicate
   - recursion - the thought that it was an important idea that I could
   only understand it by learning to program
   - Papert's book Mindstorms - the idea that the computer could be a
   vehicle for powerful ideas for children

Syntax and operating systems seemed to be obstacles invented by some spoiler
to slow down getting at the ideas

When I was a student at school there were no computers - there were some
computers around at uni but they didn't sound all that interesting - the
students talked about punch cards, speed and limited access

Once I got onto the idea that certain things could be represented on the
computer better than anywhere else (eg. fractals) then I bought more books
to learn how to do it, so there were many hours spent

I like the "invitation to immersion" approach that you are suggesting rob:

"...any path is only a path. You can try it out as many times as you like.
If your heart tells you to go down that path then do it. Quality learning
can be achieved with computers using constructionist software and aware
teachers. Computer based constructionism (ie. programming) is just an
invitation to immersion. No one should be forced into it but everyone should
receive an invitation to quality use of computers. Very few do."
http://www.users.on.net/~billkerr/a/invite.htm

- Bill