[Yr7-10it] block it all

Meadows, Roslyn M Meadows.Roslyn.M at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Mar 1 22:38:12 EST 2007

Cameron - I agree with you that teachers should make the decision about
which sites to block - and the way the pc's are configured!

After a year away from bentleigh our computers are so 'locked down' it
takes the kids about 8 clicks to get into their home directory. Right
clicking has been disabled completely, and although we have the
Macromedia suite installed, I discovered today that kids cannot save swf
files - so about 6 of my students who had spent time doing a flash
animation for their website could not actually use it! I am also yet to
work out how they can zip up a folder (eg a website) so they can submit
it electronically. Chances are they will not be able to save zip files
or exe files either - goodbye gamemaker???? I will be pushing to have
the rules bent a little and attempt to put the onus back on the
classroom teachers to supervise what students are doing.

There is nothing like diligence - my students know that if they are
doing anything off task (even paint can be a distraction) I will just
turn the computer off, they will risk losing their work, they are
removed from the computer and have to work from a book with pen and
paper. I find that once this has happened to a couple of kids the class
settles down and stays on task. It's a bit similar to being in a Maths
class and finding a kid reading a magazine - you confiscate the mag and
keep an eye on him/her.

Our students are limited to educache, staff can go further but are
limited to $10 credit (at 10c per MB) Once a staff member has used this
credit he must email the principal who will ask the library tech for a
printout of websites visited. I am hoping that by going to the
brightsparks unlimited plan (thanks Cameron) we will halve our IP costs
and everyone will have free access to the whole web.

After spending the last year at a notebook school where even MySpace,
youtube and MSN Messenger were not blocked I feel like I have just
landed behind the iron curtain - although I am enjoying being back here.

Roslyn Meadows | Information Technology | Bentleigh Secondary College |
meadows.roslyn.m at edumail.vic.gov.au | ph 03 9579 1044 | mobile 0412 614
062