[Yr7-10it] Google 'My Australia' competition

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 13:07:12 EST 2007

Victor raises a very good point. It is one of the reasons why it is good to
support award schemes (3in6, programming, website etc) by subject
associations such as VITTA. As a rule they are generally non-commercial and
vendor neutral. Of course, this is still a tricky course for any group to
sail through with many grey areas but you can be assured that we openly
discuss these conflict of interest and integrity issues.

For 'commercial' competitions that I spot, generally I just pin the info on
the board, leave it on a desk or pass it on to anybody interested. I do not
mandate it for any of my classes. Of course this doesn't stop us using the
material or activity as a source of inspiration for something else or a
parallel activity.

Last week we had some fun using Inkscape to design some cool A3 campaign
posters for clearing land mines at our sister school, this stimulated enough
interest in a real fund raising drive. I'll admit to being inspired from the
cool poster I saw for on the Software Freedom day website mentioned by
Margaret and a related competition to design a similar T-Shirt for
SecondLife. ;-)

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au