[Yr7-10it] Rubrics for VELS thread.

Henry Johnson h.johnson at yavneh.vic.edu.au
Fri Aug 24 15:32:17 EST 2007

OOh, be careful here. I presently run a Mac with bootcamp and use Parallels in the OS X environment to run various flavours of *inux. Would also run my XP partition as well, but Windows feels that the Parallels Virtual Machine is another computer, so it wants to me to re-register it. So I suppose when I run XP natively again, I'll have to call up Pakistan and get another 60 digit activation code. Hmm, makes feel so glad I paid for the privilege of running Windows (not!).

In theory the latest version of Parallels should let you run your Windows applications sort of seamlessly. Concurrence is what is called. But as I needed to use stuff like Vegas and firewire connections, I still have the machine booting into Windows.

When I did the "triple boot", (Apple, Ubuntu, XP) it turns out that the Mac emulates the PC BIOS in its firmware. Which means it doesn't work so good. So when I trashed my boot blocks (which were sort of "virtual" and happened during an upgrade of Ubuntu, which again doesn't seem happy on an Intel Mac) it proved almost impossible to get Windows back again without a complete reformat. So I went the standard bootcamp route as Apple provides good support for it.

Henry Johnson
Moodle Administrator
Yavneh College
http://moodle.yavneh.vic.edu.au

>>> Meadows.Roslyn.M at edumail.vic.gov.au 08/23/07 1:09 PM >>>
The macs which have the intel chip (eg the MacBooks) can actually be
partitioned using BootCamp and Windows installed on a separate partition
- that's how mine works anyway.

If you partition it from scratch you can actually make 3 partitions and
run Linux also!! The best of all three worlds -the only problem being is
that you must reboot to change from one OS to another - bit of a pain,
whereas with Virtual PC you can run the windows software within the mac
environment (although this is slower). I haven't tried VMWare or
Parallels yet.

Cheers

Ros

Roslyn Meadows | Bentleigh Secondary College | 9579 1044 | 0412 614 062