[Yr7-10it] (no subject)

Jane Fischer jane.fischer at rmit.edu.au
Mon Aug 20 17:17:54 EST 2007

We teach students, teachers etc workshops in a range of innovative
education/web 2.0 Technology, mostly geared around implementation in
Education. Our experience is teachers need the advice on how to use it
and Students just want to know how to customise etc. If they don't know
the skills they pick it up quickly. This means teachers can focus on the
underlying traditional skills for blogs it would be literacy, writing
for the web, cyber-saftey, design skills to name a few.

We've also done CSS for grade 7-9 students in the framework of MySpace.
The coding is a bit funny and there are some bugs but overall it was
very successful.

cheers Jane

Jane Fischer
Education Manager

lab.3000 - leading by design
RMIT University

Level 3, 257 Collins Street
Melbourne VIC 3000 Australia
Phone: +61 (0)3 9654 1731
Mobile:  +61 (0)412 649 993

www.lab.3000.com.au/education

Subscribe to lab.3000's monthly e-newsletter
www.lab.3000.com.au/subscribe

>>> On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at  5:03 PM, in message
<bccc6ca40708200003u6280ec44xc0301075e0e777e8 at mail.gmail.com>, "ken
price" <kenjprice at gmail.com> wrote:

I've been working with a bunch of pre-service teachers. Mostly GenX and
GenY, but not many had personal experience in blogging - most just read
someone else's blogs. It was a challenge for some to post content to a
shared blog we set up to look at student self-assesment in ICT

Then I mentioned Facebook.

There was no need to worry about teaching them about this- they were off
and running, as they either use it or they were desperate to learn. The
only problem is that while they can add their reflections and ideas,
their colleagues need a Facebook account to see them. Oh, and it is
probably blocked in schools....

So, I'm wondering if extending technologies that kids already use is a
more effective option. If the technology is intuitive we can make better
use of it without having to teach its peculiarities.

After all, did anyone need to run training courses in using an ATM, or
does anyone need to show students how to use a mobile phone?

Ken.

On 8/20/07, Russell Edwards <edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au>
wrote:

On 20/08/2007, at 3:03 PM, Kerrie A Hammond wrote:

> I keep hearing a lot about blogging yet have no idea how to use it
> in my classroom. I would be greatful if any list contributors, who
> are currently using blogging, could give me some hints on where to
> start.

Hi Kerrie,

I use blogs in two ways in my Year 9/10 classes

1) For each class, I make a "class blog", where each unit of work is
listed and full handouts placed for viewing or download

2) Each student makes their own blog. At the end of each unit of work
(typically 2 weeks long), they write a reflective entry on the work
they have done, where possible uploading the actual product or an
image/screenshot. This forms part of the VELS ICT for Communicating
assessment, and where the product is adequately displayed I will
often do the assessment of that (for the other dimensions) just by
looking at their blog. Also, some units of work give them some
specific questions, which they answer in a blog entry for assessment
in either or both of the other two ICT dimensions.  Their blog
entries are also meant to include a "trackback" link to the
corresponding entry of the class blog, however I have found that
these often inexplicably fail to work (on wordpress.com blogs).

I think this has great potential, but as with everything else, it
often founders on the shoals of student disengagement...

HTH

Russell

Authority and
http://www.vitta.org.au - VITTA Victorian Information Technology