[Yr7-10it] (no subject)

Russell Edwards edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Aug 20 15:25:47 EST 2007

On 20/08/2007, at 3:03 PM, Kerrie A Hammond wrote:

> I keep hearing a lot about blogging yet have no idea how to use it
> in my classroom. I would be greatful if any list contributors, who
> are currently using blogging, could give me some hints on where to
> start.

Hi Kerrie,

  I use blogs in two ways in my Year 9/10 classes

1) For each class, I make a "class blog", where each unit of work is
listed and full handouts placed for viewing or download

2) Each student makes their own blog. At the end of each unit of work
(typically 2 weeks long), they write a reflective entry on the work
they have done, where possible uploading the actual product or an
image/screenshot. This forms part of the VELS ICT for Communicating
assessment, and where the product is adequately displayed I will
often do the assessment of that (for the other dimensions) just by
looking at their blog. Also, some units of work give them some
specific questions, which they answer in a blog entry for assessment
in either or both of the other two ICT dimensions.  Their blog
entries are also meant to include a "trackback" link to the
corresponding entry of the class blog, however I have found that
these often inexplicably fail to work (on wordpress.com blogs).

I think this has great potential, but as with everything else, it
often founders on the shoals of student disengagement...

HTH

Russell

Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education.