[Yr7-10it] Retired computers available in bulk

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 23:32:13 EST 2007

Our sister school in the Cook Islands doesnt want any more junk as throwing
it into the sea is no longer an option. They are just looking to extend the
life of the hardware they buy and the hardware they have. This is why they
are exploring stuff like Xubuntu, where we picked up the "No hardware left
behind" message.
     http://www.xubuntu.org/

Chap from GreenPC that I spoke to indicated that they established an Info
Timor enterprise in a tin shed and trained six East Timorese students for
six months in Australia to run a purpose-built IT Centre is being designed
to allow more Ubuntu Certificate-level training to be delivered. I was
really proud to read what they are doing to help empower a community with
this free libre open source software and the donated hardware.
     http://tulundili.infoxchange.net.au

Michael, that link to the computer recycling Byteback page from Boroondara
council<http://www.boroondara.vic.gov.au/environment/waste/collect/recycling/computers>is
fantastic and an outstanding example of what every city council should
be
striving for. Sounds like a good letter campaign that IT student can
initiate to encourage a similar service with their local council. The guess
the thing we need to emphasis to the college admin is that it is now never
an option to fill the school dump master with toxic eWaste. If it costs the
school money and time to correctly dispose of this waste, then so be it.

I might be worth our while using some of the new suggestions posted here to
update the VITTA eWaste position statement and welcome your feedback.
     http://www.vitta.org.au/pubs/infonet/view.php?id=250 (may need VITTA
website login)

Regards Roland