[Yr7-10it] Retired computers available in bulk

Michael Walker wk at cgsc.vic.edu.au
Mon Apr 23 12:23:10 EST 2007

>>> Michelle Dennis<mdennis at mentoneggs.vic.edu.au> 04/23/07 11:51am >>>
>Stupid question, but isn't there any organisation working with disadvantaged kids who wouldn't mind using even an outdated computer? Somewhere?

A lot of them are listed here:

http://www.sustainability.vic.gov.au/www/html/1676-recycling-services-in-victoria.asp?intSiteID=4

Just type in computer as a search term.
Having said that, last time I looked into it, the organisations we spoke to wanted computers that were outdated, not ancient. For some reason they weren't too keen on subjecting their volunteers to the delights of trying to get the internet going on a computer running an 8088 chipset...8^) (or even early Pentiums for that matter). I'm happy to know if there are organisations wanting really old stuff.

As you replied to my email, I'm assuming you're asking the question of why we didn't donate them rather than recycle them.
a) See above
b) Most of the stuff was faulty and mostly beyond saving. Dead printers, ancient computer cases, dead components and the like.

Michael Walker
Canterbury Girls' Secondary College