[Yr7-10it] Retired computers available in bulk

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 23:33:18 EST 2007

www.*greenpc*.com.au  .. or pop a GreenPC brochure into buyers hands.

Our school council supported the notion that college needs to consider the
sustainable disposal of old hardware. Tossing it into the domestic rubbish
or dump master was no longer an acceptable option. If there is no residual
value, I can now pay for computer equipment to be recycled instead of
pretending that the heavy metals do not exist and tossing it into landfill.
We do a shuttle run to a merchant that disassembles the broken hardware.

If we accept the notion that the supplier has a responsibility in the waste
cycle, then schools need to consider the final destination for their old
hardware. We already see this with printer cartridges and mobile phones. The
prickly issue for me now is, should we take back old or obsolete hardware
that was donated or sold in good faith to students? If we don't accept this
responsibility, then we have to accept the practice of dumping toxic
electronic waste in third world countries that don't have in place either
the technology or systems for correct disposal.

I must admit, when a student turned up with a "useless old computer" that
refused to work, we managed to build a working Xubuntu Linux system he took
back home as a second family computer. In an increasingly disposable world,
the notion of "No hardware left behind" is appealing. Golly, I even remember
John Widmer many years ago, getting the Internet running on IBM XT computers
that others were donating to him.

Kevork, I am greatly pleased and encouraged by your efforts to spend those
extra hours (in your own time too I bet) to build up a batch of working
systems and taking responsibility for its decomissioning, instead of tossing
it all into the dump master. The return may be small but the investment in
the future is priceless. Well done :-)

Regards Roland

PS: VITTA has produced an eWaste position statement if anybody is interested
for a read:
               http://www.vitta.org.au/pubs/infonet/view.php?id=250

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au