[Yr7-10it] Re: [Year 12 IPM] Integrating IT across the curriculumunder VELS

Dobb, Lorette Dobb.L at kingswoodcollege.vic.edu.au
Wed Sep 28 00:41:09 EST 2005

In response to Roslyn's query from the Y7-10 IT list at FHC re VELS - I am not sure that I am still a member and have sent a copy to the IS list and Kevork in case.

I have tried to put together some VELS planning documents for my faculty - they are rough but people are welcome to adapt them to their situation if they are useful.

I must acknowledge the hugh amount of help from materials and PD supplied by VCAA, but especially Paula Christophersen who has run some highly professional PD. I have also tried to adapt ideas gained from some recent postgraduate study (COGE - gifted ed)in differentiated curriculum development that seemed to fit well with the philosophy of VELS.

Comments and suggestions welcome - we are in this together!

I agree with Roland - interdisciplinary does not equal integrated. Paula made very clear the 3 main models for ICT in a school in PD sessions. These can be accessed from VCAA materials.

BTW
My school has IT in the curriculum as a separate discipline at Years 7 & 9, integrated at Year 8 and optional at Year 10. I created a skills analysis for staff in other faculties at our school as a starting point for planning.
The Unit template is modelled on a sample unit from VCAA.
The Planner for AI (Artificial Intelligence) was an attempt to create a example for our school - I have not run it past my colleagues in other faculties yet and I am hoping that they can refine it well beyond my attempt.

Lorette Dobb
Head of Technology
Coord Gifted Programs
Kingswood College