[Yr7-10it] amaya web editor

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 23:18:13 EST 2005

I've been searching for a long time for a good open source and / or
free HTML editor that also has features to incorporate style and SVG
(scalable vector graphics)

I think Amaya might do the job.
http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

"The current releases, Amaya 8.7.2 (old User Interface) and Amaya 9.1
(new User Interface), supports HTML 4.01, XHTML 1.0, XHTML Basic,
XHTML 1.1, HTTP 1.1, MathML 2.0, many CSS 2 features, and includes SVG
support (transformation, transparency, and SMIL animation on OpenGL
platforms). You can display and partially edit XML documents. It's an
internationalized application."

So far I've only checked out 8.7 but I like it a lot (first impressions)

it's produced by W3C, world wide web consortium, the standards body
led by Tim Berners-Lee - the trouble with a lot of the other web
editors I looked at is that they haven't bothered to keep up to date
with W3C standards (which had implications down the track even though
the web pages initially still "work")

W3C keeps a fairly low profile, which is my current hypothesis of why
this editor hasn't been talked about on teachers lists, to my
knowledge, up until now.

Bill Kerr
http://billkerr.blogspot.com/
http://intranet.woodvillehs.sa.edu.au/kerrbi/index.htm