[Yr7-10it] VELS and ICT - An Attempt to Model an Ideal Working Relationship

Andrew Grimshaw grimshaw.andrew.j at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Jul 25 11:22:53 EST 2005

Really liked the model and concept map keith - an excellent summary of where
ICT needs to go

There are some major challenges to the effective implementation of the "with
ICT" part of the model though:

1. Inertia of non-ICT staff. I have found that general staff do not feel
motivated to learn any new ICT skills until there is a clear and pressing
need for them to do so. The general "i need to improve my ICT skills so that
i am a more effective teacher on the odd occassion that i take them to the
PC lab" is not motivation enough for teachers that already have large
demands on their time

2. insufficient time allowance for ICT teachers to PD other staff and
oversee the use of ICT in other curriculum areas - we are not superhuman and
there are limits to what we can achieve in a given time-frame

what it comes down to then is convincing our administrators, both at school
and departmental level, that they should commit time and money to ICT. we
have the skills to implement the model we just need the resources

i have to say also that i do not feel that ICT has been "relegated" to a
cross-curricular strand.

I think we need to turn this concept on its head and argue instead that ICT
is now recognised as being a critical component of every learning area, that
ICT skills are now recognised to be equally important as literacy and
numeracy. Hence it is important that students learn "about ICT", (especially
in yrs 7 and 8) so that they have the base to use ICT in other areas - "with
ICT"

well thats my turn on the soapbox, thx for listening,

    andrew grimshaw