[Yr7-10it] RE: Electronic reporting system

Roland Gesthuizen rge at westallsc.vic.edu.au
Sat Dec 3 12:53:36 EST 2005

I dug up here an interesting paper on how to evaluate an opensource project
    http://www.dwheeler.com/oss_fs_eval.html

The process described is based on steps we already use to evaluate and
select software.

   1. identify candidates and read existing reviews
   2. briefly compare the leading programs' attributes to your needs
   3. perform an in-depth analysis of the top candidates.

As Con suggested, if a program is being actively maintained and updated,
it's far more likely that it will still be useful tomorrow. You can
glean this from the traffic on the supporting discussion forums and
dates on the update pages. For example, Moodle http://moodle.org has
over 142 developers for over 7500 sites.

Regards Roland