[Yr11 Information Technology] Language is tricky: Main and Replica

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 02:51:41 UTC 2020

Some lead programmers have been booting the term ‘slave' out of their codebase noting that the 'casual use' of term with master and slave systems is an ‘unnecessary reference to a painful experience’. The changes generated no breakages, no change in operation, no problem. It was the respectful and right thing to do. Others are taking their lead and doing the same.

It started several years ago already with databases when we started renaming this convention to main and replica. https://medium.com/@mikebroberts/let-s-stop-saying-master-slave-10f1d1bf34df <https://medium.com/@mikebroberts/let-s-stop-saying-master-slave-10f1d1bf34df>

I still hear teachers and techs in schools using master and slave in their language and systems, chuckling at my asking and dismissive of my questions about documentation. The bottom line is that the old terminology has to go and this has to be a permanent change.

Roland GESTHUIZEN
http://about.me/rgesthuizen