[Yr11 Information Technology] Python & Facial recognition

Nathan Alison nathan at dltv.vic.edu.au
Mon Aug 17 23:50:40 UTC 2020

Hi Sarah and Jamie,

I understand that Machine Learning For Kids can also export an AI model to
Python for projects involving image recognition. It creates a repl.it
template project with all the necessary libraries already in place, and
provides you with your unique API key that allows you to use the AI model
you trained.

Python being Python, accessing a webcam is a challenge, so it's easier to:
take photos of the things you want to recognise and upload them into the
repl.it project as a file or access images on the Internet via URLs.

Setting up Machine Learning For Kids for a class is a bit involved. I
helped make the video at the top of this lesson
<https://www.digitaltechnologieshub.edu.au/teachers/lesson-ideas/ai-lesson-plans/ai-image-recognition-exploring-limitations-and-bias>
on the Digital Technologies Hub to walk through the process, but it may be
a little out of date now.

I'm sure MLFK is not the only option for AI and machine learning in Python.

Cheers,

Nathan

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 at 09:38, Sarah Gale <Sarah.Gale at genazzano.vic.edu.au>
wrote:

> Hi Jamie,
>

> You didn’t speak to me, but I am interested in the answer!
>

> I have been using Machine Learning for Kids – a great resource as an intro
> https://machinelearningforkids.co.uk/
>
> Uses MITs scratch version 3 (unable to save projects in beta so make sure
> students screen record their final project) and MITs App Creator with great
> tutorials.
>

> Looking forward to other’s responses!
>

> Sarah Gale
> Team Leader: Year 8 | Curriculum Leader: Technology | Teacher
>
> *Please note – We are currently working in a remote environment due to
> COVID-19 restrictions. Contact via email is preferred.*
>

> 301 Cotham Road Kew VIC 3101
> genazzano.vic.edu.au *D* +61 3 8862 1216 *T *+61 3 8862 1000
> [image: Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/GenFCJ>[image: Twitter]
> <https://twitter.com/genfcj>[image: Instagram]
> <https://www.instagram.com/genfcj>[image: LinkedIn]
> <https://au.linkedin.com/company/genazzano-fcj-college>
> CRICOS Provider No. 03298G
>
> Ignited by beauty, truth & goodness
> Genazzano FCJ College promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all
> children and young people
>

> *From: *yr11it <yr11it-bounces at edulists.com.au> on behalf of Jamie LE
> ROSSIGNOL <lerossignol.jamie at BSSC.EDU.AU>
> *Date: *Tuesday, 18 August 2020 at 9:30 am
> *To: *Year 11 Information Technology Teachers' Mailing List <
> yr11it at edulists.com.au>
> *Subject: *[Yr11 Information Technology] Python & Facial recognition
>

> Hi All,
>

> At the DLTV conference this year, I spoke to someone about AI Machine
> Learning and Facial recognition done with Python. I can not for the life of
> me find the resource and will lockdown the notes are at work. So can anyone
> point me in the direction of student friendly resources involving Machine
> Learning using Python , and Facial Recognition using Python.
>

> Regards,
>

> *Jamie Le Rossignol **Applied Computing, **VET CDM, & VET IDMT Teacher*
>
> *Bendigo Senior Secondary College*
> PO Box 545, Bendigo, VIC 3552, Australia
> Phone *61 3 5443 1222*
>
> Email *[lerossignol.jamie at bssc.edu.au
> <lerossignol.jamie at bssc.edu.au>]lerossignol.jamie**@bssc.edu.au
> <http://bssc.edu.au>*

> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority
> Teachers Association Inc

Nathan Alison

Professional Learning Coordinator | Digital Learning and Teaching Victoria
<https://dltv.vic.edu.au/>

Email: nathan at dltv.vic.edu.au

Phone: (03) 9349 3733

DLTV’S FREE *WEBINAR **SERIES *CONTINUES IN TERM THREE 2020
dltv.vic.edu.au/events