[Yr11 Information Technology] Innovative Solutions

Phillip Donald milsendonaldp at gmail.com
Wed May 29 03:15:21 UTC 2019

U2O1 of the new Applied Computing study design is a bit murky to me and it
feels like it hasn't been fully thought through. Just to be clear though,
I'm hopeful all my concerns will dry up with advice to teachers and
upcoming PDs. Perhaps we can use this thread as an indicator of such things
to be cleared up.

1) I appreciate that there's lots of options, but listing things like AI,
Machine learning or neural networks... So the students are doing their PHD
in Computer Science now? Is it really expected that students who just
learnt the basics like looping through arrays are going to make an
innovative proof of concept for AI?

Ok sure, let's pick an easier one, making a game. Do we expect students who
are novices of programming (less than one year of experience!) are going to
be able to come up with and partially implement an "innovative" game
mechanic?

2) Innovative:
(of a product, idea, etc.) featuring new methods; advanced and original.

Now you might be in the "don't underestimate your students" line of
thought. Overestimation is just as dangerous. I am concerned we are setting
students up to fail here. We are asking them to sprint when they are still
crawling.