[Yr11 Information Technology] Visual Basic workbooks

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 21:10:33 AEDT 2016

The Grok Learning challenge run by Sydney University NCSS is probably the
best entry point for Python. We register the year 10's. Nice thing about
the online tutorials is that the lessons are staged in bite (sic) sized
chunks that you can track online. The help desk is good and gives practical
feedback when kids are stuck. Can be done on any device, even an iPad. For
my of my year 10 IT class, it was their first introduction to serious
programming after Scratch.

https://groklearning.com

At the start of November we will be trying out the Grok Code Quest that
explores programming the BBC micro:bit with Python 3. I saw this being
showcased at a programming conference in Melbourne about a month ago. Nice
how it connected coding with raw circuits and the real world.

https://groklearning.com/course/microbit-starter/

The reference that I made to Programming within Minecraft is detailed here.
It uses the Raspberry Pi 3 computer. Very cool .. we just bought a set to
use with the televisions in our Learning Commons. A couple of kids couldn't
wait and just purchased their own units.

http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/category/python/

Share and enjoy