[Yr11 Information Technology] A Monday Challenge.

Mark mark at vceit.com
Mon Dec 7 13:02:21 AEDT 2015

U1O3 KK5 - 'factors affecting the integrity of data, such as correctness,
reasonableness and accuracy'

Your challenge for today is: Work out a way to explain the difference
between "correctness" and "accuracy" to a year 11 student.  The prize is 50
brownie points.

Yes, I realise the terms are only given as examples in the study design,
and are not made mandatory by the word 'including', but I'm interested if
anyone can clearly tease out the difference between two terms usually
considered synonymous by everyone except scientists.

The only thing I can suggest is that "accuracy" means "correctness" (free
from error) but also has an whiff of 'precision' about it too...

e.g. storing Pi as "3.14" may be *correct*, but not as *accurate* as
"3.14159"

Good luck.

mark at vceit.com
http://vceit.com