[Yr11 Information Technology] Computational Thinking

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 20:05:41 EST 2014

Hello All,

The annual National Python Competition starts Aug. 5th.  Details can be found at:
https://groklearning.com/challenge

The NCSS Challenge runs for 5 weeks in Term 3 starting on August 5th and teaches students how to program as they compete.  Last year, thousands of high school students (and some primary school students) and teachers competed in the Challenge from hundreds of schools across Australia and New Zealand.  I will be registering all our year 11 students and a swag from around the college. Cannot speak highly enough of how well this activity is run.

If you are still wondering what is computational thinking and why it is important, then listen to Nicky Ringland and the ACCELN crew tonight as we lift the lid on decomposition, pattern recognition, abstraction and algorithm design.
     http://acceln.wikispaces.com/ (showtime is 8:30 tonight, Monday 21 July Melbourne time)

Still not convinced? Then check out the ACEC2014 conference program to see how others are tackling this and how it will fit into our new national curriculum. It’s a cumin down the line ..
     http://acec2014.acce.edu.au

Regards Roland Gesthuizen

—
Roland GESTHUIZEN
http://about.me/rgesthuizen
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead