[Yr11 Information Technology] An epiphany - programming is alive and well . Java, Android, Visual Studio.

Kevork KROZIAN kkrozian at ringwoodsc.vic.edu.au
Tue Apr 22 12:29:05 EST 2014

Dear Everyone

I recently had a few students enrol in my Cert IV (Networking) ICA40411 course who were not up with the Networking demands ( they did not choose Cisco as a co-requisite ) and requested to do programming as part of their qualification.
Yes, students asked to do programming !

So, I modified/adjusted the course to import a number of programming units including Java, Visual Studio, Mobile Application Development, SQL, OOP etc.
Here are some of the units for the programming  . You can find full unit documentation at www.training.gov.au<http://www.training.gov.au>

Programming Electives

1. ICAPRG414A Apply introductory programming skills in another language (60)
2. ICAPRG414A Develop mobile applications (50)
3. ICAICT420A Develop client user interface (40)
4. ICAPRG425A Use Structured Query Language (60)
5. ICANWK408A Configure a Desktop Environment (40)
6. ICAPRG406A Apply introductory object-oriented language skills. Much of the writing of classes, arraylists of classes etc fit nicely here.
7. ICAPRG527A Apply intermediate object-oriented language skills

What is interesting is that this opportunity allowed me to investigate several options such as:

1.    Installation of Eclipse with the Android SDK for mobile device programming and the WindowBuilder plug in for easy GUI programming.

2.    Writing a course in Java programming using Eclipse. I prepared a student workbook as a Draft 1 for ICAPRG414A Apply introductory programming skills in another language (60). I have attached the first draft version of the student workbook . This was a quick effort to get started.

Three cheers for youtube for saving hundreds of hours of preparation time.

3.    For ICAPRG414A Develop mobile applications (50), Writing Windows 8 Applications using Visual Studio and C#. Student Workbook is being written.

4.    As an alternative to ICAPRG414A Develop mobile applications (50), use of the Android SDK from http://developer.android.com/ with online lessons for mobile applications. Student Workbook is being written.

5.    ICAPRG425A Use Structured Query Language (60). I had used MySQL extensively with PHP in the past and this knowledge fits like a glove with this unit.

6.    ICAICT420A Develop client user interface (40)  looks like our current Software Development Outcome 41 developing a mobile device prototype.

What is more amazing is the work I had done with java and Xbox XNA C# programming also dovetails nicely into a few other units such as :

1.    ICAPRG406A Apply introductory object-oriented language skills. Much of the writing of classes, inheritance, polymorphism, arraylists of classes, connecting to MySQL, text and binary file saving/reading fits nicely here.

2.    ICAPRG527A - Apply intermediate object-oriented language skills

More generally and more strategically what numbers of teachers feel this type of knowledge would be something they would like/love/"not care about" professional learning in ?

Kind Regards

Kevork Krozian
IT Pathways Manager
Ringwood Trade Training Facility
Tel: 0419 356 034

Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of Ringwood Secondary College.