[Yr11 Information Technology] about SCRATCH for Unit2?

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 00:28:29 EST 2008

G'day Mark, our VCE SD programming subject gradually died a slow death
as we folded it all into a composite year 11/ITA course. If we had let
the VCE SD list of programming languages drive our year 11 VCE
curriculum then I would probably be back to teaching maths or science.
The changes we made at year 11 mean we now have again three VCE IT
classes, with girls a significant majority in year 12 ITA. Coolies
although as I pointed out, this might only have worked at our school :-)

We used Scratch to help springboard into Python (previously we used
GameMaker). The emphasis was keep the course interesting, fun and
relevant. This approach might favour the  largely ESL background of our
kids that select IT or some other social interest factor that I wove
into the course. Who knows .. at least it worked.

I am probably overusing the analogy this week but it is rather like
teaching checkers. It doesn't matter if we use bottle tops instead of a
professionally crafted set of ivory pieces or graduate to teaching
chess, the basic ideas covered can be transposed between the different
languages. I have long forgotten Fortran, but me thinks that those days
and assignments were never really wasted.

I have some good memories of Year 11 Chemistry flame testing different
salts. It was a good thing that I wasn't scared off with Schroedinger
wave equations or watered-down quantum energy calculations. We just had
fun pretending to be scientists with our white labcoats, lighting our
own bunsen burner and practicing report writing.

Regards Roland