[Yr11 Information Technology] Interactive concept maps

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 16:48:01 EST 2008

Here is an interesting cross post from a moodle mailing list, apologies for
any duplicates you might get. The link is to an impressive interactive
concept map or digital portfolio generated by a year 7 student with Cmap.
Clicking on the links opens his mind maps or attached documents or
resources.
     http://tinyurl.com/2g4co9

It is easy to create CMap launch points in Moodle that students can click
on, authenticate and start collaborating.  We have a Cmap server and have
the client software installed on all the college workstations. It is
cross-platform, free to download and share. Of course it is open source. :-)

Is anybody interested in having a collaborative play with this? Perhaps even
just to map out Unit 1 and 2 for the VCE IT course? Just a thought.

Regards Roland

Re: Tech Tools for Teachers
> by Tammy Moore <http://moodle.org/user/view.php?id=75167&course=5> -
> Friday, 4 January 2008, 01:01 PM
>
> We have loved Cmap concept mapping tool. It is free from
> http://cmap.ihmc.us/download/index.php. Here are a few of the maps that we
> have created:
>
> A very large family-tree diagram for my grandparents family line<http://cmapspublic2.ihmc.us/servlet/SBReadResourceServlet?rid=1179325093828_1426894163_23956&partName=htmltext>:
> If you see an icon at the bottom of the node, it will link you to photos of
> that person (linked via tags that are used by family members who contribute
> digital photo scans to our family Ning).
>
> A student's full-year concept map portfolio<http://cmapspublic2.ihmc.us/servlet/SBReadResourceServlet?rid=1186575347390_2102619529_25369&partName=htmltext>:
> This was created by one of our students that really took to concept mapping.
> A few of the node links do not have much content, but the majority of them
> are quite full and elaborate.
>
> More about Cmap: The Cmaps can be hosted free on free Cmap servers so they
> not only can be shared as html files with the world but also so they can be
> used as a collaborative concept mapping tool. These have permission systems
> in place to allow members of the group to sign in either assynchronously or
> synchronously to work on the maps. Assynchronous communication is assisted
> by the ability to add forum<http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=23>tools to specific nodes. there is also a stick it note tool. Sysnchronous
> communication is assisted with a live chat<http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=321>system that automitically opens if more than one person is signed in to the
> map<http://moodle.org/mod/glossary/showentry.php?courseid=5&concept=Google+Maps>at the same time. My son used Cmap as a study group tool in college.

Tammy Moore