[Yr11 Information Technology] wikisapces

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Mar 21 15:18:06 EST 2007

There's no guarantee it it won't be reused.  AFAIK, when a kid exits the
college (and CASES), their ID becomes re-available for re-use.
Recycling IDs has been a long-term problem: we faced it when tracking
exited kids' archived results.  The same ID would reappear attached to a
different kid!

I believe CASES21 has a unique (and unwieldy) birth-to-grave ID key
buried deep in it, so kids can be tracked from school to school, from
primary to secondary etc. It's not frequently used... yet

Kevin Feely wrote:
> Hi All,
> My understanding is the casesid is unique - it will not be re-issued.
> regards
> kevin
>
> Mark Kelly wrote:
>> CASES ID.  Not perfect (it will be re-used in time after a student
>> leaves and another with a similar surname arrives, so it's not an
>> enduring identifier), but it's good enough for most purposes.
>>
>> We also use it as their network/internet username.
>>
>> Lappin, Jason M wrote:
>>> Hi List
>>> I am really sorry to post this email considering that it has nothing
>>> to do with teaching ICT but I will put it "out there" anyway in the
>>> hope that I will get a response.
>>> Our school has different codes for student ID, Cases and First Class.
>>> Does anyone know the best format for a universal code for all three.
>>> I would really like to know what other schools are doing as I have
>>> just been "awarded" the job of timetabler for the rest of the year
>>> and I would like to be able to import/export data between each
>>> program and make life much easier than it currently is.
>>> Thanks for your help.
>>> Jason Lappin
>>> VCE ICT Teacher and "part time" timtabler extraordinaire!

>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> i have just set up a wikispace that i am intending to use with my yr
>>> 11 class
>>>
>>> (have a look if u like: http://cc-it-2007.wikispaces.com/)
>>>
>>> i have a few questions re management:
>>>
>>> Have other teachers sought parental permission before allowing
>>> studnets access to the wiki?
>>>
>>> Can we preview student changes before they are posted to the site?
>>>

>>>  I'd love to have a look at a couple of spaces that are in use by
>>> secondary classes
>>>
>>> thx,
>>> andrew grimshaw
>>> e-learning coordinator
>>> colac college
>>>

>>> Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If
>>> received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before
>>> opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects.
>>> Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the
>>> negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly
>>> from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to
>>> resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions
>>> expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily
>>> those of the Department of Education.

>>> http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au - Victorian Curriculum and Assessment
>>> Authority and http://www.vitta.org.au - VITTA Victorian Information
>>> Technology Teachers Association Inc
>>> Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If
>>> received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before
>>> opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects.
>>> Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the
> [...]

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000 << new number!
School Fax   +613 9578 9253

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IPM Mailing List

Doctor - We must all face reality sooner or later.
Dowd   - I wrestled with reality for 35 years, doctor, and I'm happy to
say I won out over it.  ('Harvey', 1950)