[Yr11 Information Technology] Alfred Deakin lecture - Science, Business and the Law

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 00:16:27 EST 2007

This looks interesting debate moderated by ABC science journalist Robyn
Williams. Good coverage of some burning issues for IT teachers to chew over.
It will be held on Monday 16 July from 6:30 to 8 pm at the Village Roadshow
Theatrette, State Library of Victoria. (First Monday at the start of term 3)
Free admission, no booking needed.

For more information go to http://www.diird.vic.gov.au/deakinlectures

Regards Roland

Science, business and the law Locking up innovation or sharing and
harvesting it - which way to go?

As open source software continues to transform the Internet – underpinning
the phenomenal growth of businesses like Google, Ebay and YouTube, what can
science learn from the computing revolution?

Are we missing out on the full benefits of science and technology because of
outdated ideas about copyright and patenting?

This lecture will consider whether in our rush to protect intellectual
property we are locking it up and damaging our capacity to deliver solutions
for the critical issues of the 21st Century.

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au