[Year 12 IT Apps] Re: [Yr11 Information Technology] Re: the new syllabus and some general commen

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Thu Jun 21 11:37:04 EST 2007

Hi Folks,

 Definitely too much to squeeze into a single year. Outcomes had to be churned out every 5 to  6 weeks - a very tall order for students with no prerequisite required.
Also, the attempt to filter down Yr 12 and higher content into Yr 11 has overcrowded the course.
Decent web design( html , graphical manipulation, forms, validation, etc, )  decent database skill acquisition ( tables, reports, relationships, validation, forms, mail merge, etc ) can't be done from scratch in 6 weeks inclusive of assessment with 3 x 72 min periods to say nothing of missed lessons , assemblies etc.
And now I am trying it again with programming in a new language ...
Too much quantity , too little quality.

Just my thoughts ..

Kevork

>>> Mark Kelly <kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au> 21/06/2007 11:17 am >>>
Apologies for Xposts.

This year was hard in IT11 and ITA because of the large amount of new
skills that needed to be taught for the first time - especially
databases in ITA... why that had to be the FIRST outcome I'll never
know: a very odd bit of planning, I thought.

I know I spent a LOT more time than usual on developing practical skills
  in semester 1 ITA.  I hope to get time back for theory in sem 2
because for my kids spreadsheets and web authoring are easy peasy.

Also, ITA U4O2 is a short and sweet test stemming from normal theory so
time need not be spent on learning yet another tool.

Anyway, we are all (I'm sure) madly rejigging our junior classes so the
new VCE IT skill requirements are introduced in the lower levels so
there won't be the precipitous learning curve we faced this year.

For example, the year 11 kids having done databases and programming this
year will find ITA databasing and SD programming easier next year.

fiona bain wrote:
> Not sure who to make this feedback, nor whether it was just me who
> encountered this problem with Unit 1.  I ran out of time.  I took so long
> with the database and the original web page/publication for outcome 2 that
> outcome 3 will need to be finished in the first week of next term.
>
> Perhaps I made the mistake of having a web page for outcome 2 and should
> have used some other form of publication?
>
> Unit 3 worked much better for us because it dropped down to 2 outcomes,
> although my students (one of whom is very pedantic) struggled with making
> a proto-type - he wanted the real deal nor could he see the logic of
> putting the networking part with the web site (dont think he was alone
> there).
>
> Anyway I just thought this was a good time to find out how others felt and
> perhaps pass the message on up the line (unless it was just me being more
> disorganised than usual!). This will be the last thing I get involved
> with, I think, as I finish teaching IT next Friday.  I am off to Brunei in
> August to teach Business Studies.
>
> I have used this list daily for the last 7 years and, without it, would
> never have coped.  I just want to say a huge big thanks to everyone who
> posts.  Keep up the great work. In Scotland, where I am originally from,
> they have a saying - lang may yer lum reek - may you always have coal in
> your fireplace - or may you always have good fortune

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
and those who don't.