[Yr11 Information Technology] Re: yr11it Digest, Vol 23, Issue 2

Steven Bird sb at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Feb 6 20:17:39 EST 2007

On 2/6/07, Mark Kelly <kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au> wrote:

> Have you chosen a language yet, or are you still deciding?  Just pick
> one that's freely available, so kids can get it free at home - e.g.
> Visual BASIC Express, Python (both have a good amount of support).

You might be interested to know that we will probably be using Python
for the first year IT program in the new generation degrees at the
University of Melbourne, starting in 2008.  Key factors influencing
this choice are that Python is easy to learn, well-designed,
well-supported, free, and widely used in industry
[http://www.python.org/about/success/].

Steven Bird
http://www.csse.unimelb.edu.au/~sb/