[Yr11 Information Technology] SAC 2 of Unit 2

Zach Alexakos alexakos.zach.z at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu May 19 10:39:52 EST 2005

Hi Lance,

That's ok.  Here at Nth Geelong one of the great things about the setup here
is that the students are able to choose their software for their classwork
and outcome.  Software choices range from Imovie to spreadsheets and
databases.  The network here is Mac- as a pc user I am seriously thinking of
obtaining a Mac as my next laptop.  The Mac software for video/picture/sound
editing is quality with intuitive programs that don't leave the user
confused and frustrated.  Hence why we are entering the 3 in 6 video
competition this year.

In hindsight if I knew more about the Macs and their software, (in 2002 I
worked at Billanook which was a pc school), I would have included Mac and
other OS software for Outcomes and classwork for Unit 1 and 2.

Only drawback is of course that there is some quality pc software freebies
out there as well- but you can't use them on a Mac.  I have had to choose
blender for my programming class for next semester than gamemaker for that
reason.

It'll be interesting to see if we can enhance numbers in IT with the new
VELs setup, however there need to be changes at the VCE IT curriculum as
well for this to happen.  We are in the process of some important review
here at Nth Geelong so I'm hoping to be part of the changes that are needed
for the curriculum to evolve into something more exciting than it is at the
moment.

regards,
Zach Alexakos
Nth Geelong SC