[vet-it] re Quentin's predicament..

White, Colin J white.colin.j at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Aug 13 23:19:25 EST 2010

Quentin,

I am somewhat confused and a bit offended.

As the previous teacher of the class you inherited for this year, I clearly left a current full course outline, my personal copies of texts together with college purchased texts, previous years student work samples and an assessment plan with the IT Coordinator, Christine O'Dea. The students were to be enrolled in the Cert III (General Stream), with additional modules in Year 11 so they can complete the full certificate by the end of year 12 (not just a partial completion), allowing them to also concentrate on the core units in Year 12 in the lead up to the VCE Exam. You claim no one at Heywood knows what stream you are doing, yet it is the same stream I have been teaching there for the past 5 years, and both the current and previous VASS coordinator would know this. The RTO (SWTAFE) would also have this on their records, together with the current and past assessment plans. Even when I visited the college several times to deliver this years timetables, or when you visited my home to inherit and work on the timetable in June you never once expressed to me any concerns. I even gave you my home and mobile phone numbers and said to call if you had any concerns.

I am glad you all like the lab I had to fight many years to get......especially since we were moved 3 times in 5 years!! I started cabling the room and was able to get a fairly new computer for each student, no mean feat with very little funding provided. Most of those "ancient" computers were mine(about 8 in total), as with lots of other stuff I have left there or donated to the IT cause. I was rather proud that after English and Maths it was the largest elective class in the college in Year 11 this year and I regretted having to leave the Year 11 VET IT class behind for this year, but took 12 months leave to care for my ill partner.

I hope the cabling and conduit turn up for you....I never imagined having that many students this year and so my previous VET IT class didn't initially put enough in (funding was very tight too!!!) It's a fantastic course and personally believe it is far better than the VCE course because it offers more tailoring to students needs with electives, is a National qualification, provides additional VCE units for an ENTER score if the full certificate III is studied, attracts govt funding, etc, etc, etc.....need I go on.

Colin White

On leave from Heywood & District Secondary College