[Visual Communication and Design] free professional development

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Mon Jun 11 13:09:52 EST 2007

Dear VCD teachers,

    The VCD mailing list was set up around 3 years ago with the agreement of
David Morrison , a good friend of mine and the state reviewer at the time in
response to the need to maintain a community of VCD teachers beyond a PD day
or a conference. Since then around 40 teachers of your subject joined this
mailing list.

   There are many benefits to belonging to a community of colleagues, not
least of which is sharing resources, teaching material, exams, SACs and also
advice on how to interpret the various aspects of the study design.

  There are many examples of successful mailing lists operating at
www.edulists.com.au and these cover over 60 subject and education areas at
this point in time. Eg.the IT Applications mailing list averages around 350
messages per month and is a vibrant community of like minded professionals
eager to assist, advise or seek assistance. There are even teachers from
Broome WA as well as overseas who are on these lists sharing and helping.
Just last week I wrote to the itapps list to seek clarification on
progression points with VELS reporting and this is my 20th year of teaching.
I set up the edulists service 12 years ago and despite my experience or
otherwise, I desperately needed help with the VELS issue ( it is still not
satisfactorily resolved but I am getting closer to a solution ). You can
even revisit this thread via the archives or keyword search at the edulists
web site if it is of interest.

 To cut a short story long, this list was set up to help VCD teachers to
deliver the best outcomes for your students. Part of that service allowed
for occasional announcements about PD that may or not be relevant to
subscribers. These announcements are made with the understanding that they
are on a take it or leave it basis. See www.edulists.com.au and click on
List Netiquette if you wish to review what is acceptable and unacceptable
behaviour on these lists.

I am happy to unsubscribe any dissatisfied members of this list and even
happier to monitor any breaches of netiquette in the use of these lists. I
am even happy to close the list if all 40 teachers on this list feel it is
of no benefit to them. In fact the service has been set up to auto subscribe
and also auto unsubscribe again via the www.edulists.com.au main page
through the subscribe and unsubscribe links. The service is designed to
empower users to bypass any other person during these decisions although I
am happy to help.

Ultimately, with any community with a common goal , the success or otherwise
of the venture depends on each member pulling in the same direction. Often,
when a bump is struck on that journey it helps to hear some positive
comments as well and to focus on the benefits.

Over to you folks

Kevork Krozian
Edulists Creator and Administrator
www.edulists.com.au