[Tsi] Blocking messenger use during class hours

Greg Neil greg at stmargarets.vic.edu.au
Thu Jun 16 11:07:26 EST 2005

We are a predominantly XP environment with Win2k3 servers. Main
firewalls are SonicWall and ISA2004. We have been unable to successfully
block messenger access via the firewalls. The main culprits are MSN
Messenger and Windows Messenger. We have been able to successfully stop
them being accessed via group policy, however this blocks them when they
are off our network, which is (apparently) unacceptable. Anyone who has
been successful in nailing messenger programs during class hours, we'd
appreciate a new approach.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg Neil