[Technical] Inernet charging application and student quotas

Russell Curr RUSSELL at avila.vic.edu.au
Tue Jun 9 11:17:51 EST 2009

We use Papercut and find its pretty good - very good support too.

Russell Curr
Network Manager
Avila College
Ph: 9831-9645
Fax: 03-9888-1202
email: russell at avila.vic.edu.au

>>> staffwhe at rsc.vic.edu.au 06/02/09 10:19 am >>>
Greetings all

Until recently, we have been using an application called SONAR to help cache,moderate,filter and monitor student broadband and internet usage.

Last year because of budgetry issues and the need to upgarade our hardware, we had to let the system go. As well as an excellent and flexible filter environment, it had real time byte by byte monitoring of individual internet usage.

Gaia does not seem to do this. We have it at the lowest time setting for review, but students are still over running what they think they owe in download time. If they have money "in the bank" before they begin downloading a file, they can overrun their allotted inernet amount.

Does anyone have a solution? Are there alernatives out there that monitor real time inernet usage?

We are quite happy with Gaia's ability to monitor printing costs.

Wayne Hewett
ICT Chappie a Rosebud Secondary