[Technical] Parent Portals - medical records

Paul Williamson paulw at huntingtower.vic.edu.au
Fri Aug 7 10:58:50 EST 2009

Hi All,

We are currently looking at getting our parents to update contact and
medical details online rather than through paper forms and I think the
first hurdle is how do you authenticate parents and ensure that only the
parents are accessing the information?

1. I'm interested in what details you authenticate your parents with if
you do this, be it a school provided pin number (by mail, email?), birth
dates, children's names etc. ?

2. Do you offer the facility to update students medical records online?
If you do, do you show them existing records and allow them to be
updated, or simply show a blank e-form to re-submit all the
information(more secure option)?

Any thoughts on this?

Our main drive towards electronic forms is that we can force certain
fields to be filled before a form is returned, as a lot of forms come
back with missing information and we don't know if this is because it's
not applicable or was skipped over by accident.

Thanks and best regards,

Paul Williamson
Huntingtower School
Mt Waverley, Victoria