[Technical] Antivirus options

Jim Maunder techo at ruyton.vic.edu.au
Fri Sep 19 08:20:20 EST 2008

We've gone for Sophos too. CA eTrust let us down like Greg said - in
particular with those things that spread themselves from USB devices.

Sophos have a standalone cleaner that works ok for already infected
machines. However, the best way to deal with infected lappies is to
re-image them, as the disruption it causes the student or teacher is
less than the annoyance of the infection.

As a stopgap measure we used the free version of AVG8
http://www.avg.com.au and that worked better than eTrust. We have not
set up a sig. distribution server for either yet, that's a job for
the boss when he gets back. In the meantime a few extra Mb of
downloads seems worth the extra protection.

btw at home I use NOD32, or ESET http://www.nod32.com.au/ not too
hard to set up and they claim superior detection rates.

rgds
Jim

We have to use this Disclaimer

Views, opinions, etc. expressed reflect those of the author and not
Ruyton Girls' School

Jim Maunder
Laptop and PC Support Technician
Ruyton Girls School